Modern life requires all Americans to trust that companies, financial institutions, and medical providers are taking all reasonable steps to protect our most private data. When a data breach results from intentional or reckless behavior, the company or organization storing it must be held accountable.
Ahdoot & Wolfson has the legal expertise and technological experience to litigate increasingly complex data breach cases shaping the cybersecurity landscape.
In addition to the scores of data breach cases we have litigated and continue to pursue, courts across the country have appointed Ahdoot & Wolfson to leadership positions in the following cases:
- In re: Experian Data Breach Litig., No. 8:15-cv-01592-AG-DFM (C.D. Cal.)
- In re: The Home Depot, Inc., Customer Data Sec. Breach Litig., No. 1:14-md-02583- TWT (N.D. Ga.)
- In Re: U.S. Office of Pers. Mgmt. Data Sec. Breach Litig., No. 1:15-mc-01394-ABJ (D.D.C.):
- Gordon v. Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc., No. 1:17-cv-01415-CMA-MLC (D. Colo.)
- Adlouni v. UCLA Health Sys. Auxiliary, No. BC589243 (Cal. Super. Ct. Los Angeles Cty. (“LASC”))
- L.D. v. Torrance Mem’l Med. Ctr., No. BC670591 (LASC)
- In re: YapStone Data Breach, No. 4:15-cv-04429-JSW (N.D. Cal.)
- S.A. v. Wash. State Univ., No. 17-2-23244-1 SEA (Wash. Super. Ct., King Cty.)
- Chimeno-Buzzi v. Hollister Co., No. 1:14-cv-23120-MGC (S.D. Fla)
- Soukhaphonh v. Hot Topic, Inc., No. 2:16-cv-05124-DMG-AGR (C.D. Cal.)
- Rivera v. Google, Inc., No. 1:16-cv-02714 (N.D. Ill.)
- Monroy v. Shutterfly, Inc., No. 1:16-cv-10984 (N.D. Ill.)
- Melito v. American Eagle Outfitters, Inc., No. 1:14-cv-02440-VEC (S.D.N.Y.)
- In re: Target Corp. Customer Data Sec. Breach Litig., No. 0:14-md-02522-PAM (D. 4 Minn.)
- Whitaker v. Health Net, No. 2:11-cv-00910-KJM (E.D. Cal.)
- Sutter Medical Information Cases, No. JCCP 4698 (Cal. Super. Ct., Sacramento Cty.)
- Zadeh v. Chase Manhattan Bank, et al., No. 323715 (Cal. Super. Ct., San Francisco Cty. (“SFSC”)
- Steinhaus v. American Express Travel Related Services Co. et al., No. 416248 (SFSC)
- Bernard v. MBNA America Bank, et al., No. 408700 (SFSC).
- Shakib v. Discover Bank, et al., No. 416194 (SFSC)
- Baumsteiger v. FleetBoston, et al., No. 408698 (SFSC)
- Lanchester v. Washington Mutual Bank, et al., No. 429754 (SFSC).
For more information regarding the Ahdoot & Wolfson data breach and cyber security law practice, visit our data breach law page.
Invasion of Privacy and Unauthorized Disclosure
Consumers regularly entrust large companies with their confidential financial data. These service providers, whether they are insurance agents, accountants, or investment counselors, have a fiduciary duty to their clients. Medical information is another form of sensitive personal data that consumers rely on doctors, hospitals, and insurance providers to maintain in confidence. However, even within the last few years, numerous multinational corporations have disclosed this sensitive data through unauthorized, unsecured publication on the Internet or, in some cases, through security breaches by internet hackers. These instances of unauthorized disclosure are civilly actionable, as consumers can become susceptible to identity theft.
Many internet-based companies may be liable to consumers for the unauthorized use of personal data. Unlike situations of unauthorized disclosure, these companies manipulate user data to track and profile customers for targeted advertising and other profit-driven tactics, in some cases even selling the personal data to third parties. While companies typically provide disclaimers requesting authorization for the use of personal data, in some instances these authorization requests are misleading, confusing, or even entirely absent. These invasions of privacy can affect millions of consumers, even if the affected consumer is not a member or subscriber. Our attorneys are committed to protecting consumer rights on the Internet and promoting the privacy interests of the general public, taking on the most powerful web-based corporations to fight this unauthorized usage of personal data.